Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I grew up eating this simple fruit dish as a side to many meals. It is quick and easy to prepare and adds a light touch to any meal. The toppings are easily adjusted to your own personal tastes. I use mayo and have tried Miracle Whip, but did not care for the Miracle Whip (my personal preference). Servings depend on the pieces of fruit in the can. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 (15 ounce) can pear halves or 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple rings
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated or 1⁄2 cup cheese, of your choice
- 1 (6 ounce) jarwhole cherries, with stems, they make it a bit more festive. (optional)
- Drain the fruit.
- If using pear halves, place the fruit inside up on a fruit plate.
- If using pineapple rings, place the ring on a fruit plate.
- Place a dollop of mayo in the middle.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place a cherry on top and serve.
10 stars for the memories brought back with this wonderful simple salad. My Mom always used canned pear halves, but I used a really ripe fresh one, cubed. Forgot the cherry. :) Thanks, Bobtail for a lovely lunch with memories of my Mom.
As a child, they used to serve this in the school cafeteria, and I always wondered what it was. Now as an adult, I love eating this, and crave it every once in a while. It is so easy to make and has a bit of sweet, sharp, and tangy flavors. Thank you for sharing.
My mom did this all the time too! We used miracle whip in pear halves with the shredded cheese on top and it has been one of my favorites for years. I recently thought about the recipe because my daughter is a miracle whip junkie like I am and I told her about it. Thought I'd check recipezaar to see if anyone had posted it and was happy to see it here! :)