If you like the taste of cardamom you will love this jam. I used a combination of Bosc and Asian pears. I peeled the Asians, but not the Bosc. No-sugar dry pectin is used, so there's 50% less sugar in the recipe.
- Place 5-1/2 to 6 cups chopped pears and the lemon juice in a heavy pot.
- Mash pears with a potato masher to desired chunkiness. If you like it fine you can coarsely grind it. But a food processor will make it too pureed for this recipe.
- Stir-in the powdered pectin, spices and ginger.
- Bring to a boil and boil hard for one minute.
- Add the sugar.
- Bring back to a boil and boil hard for 4-minutes stirring frequently.
- Ladle into sterile jars, seal and process for 10 minutes.
- Yield 7 half pints.