Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Modified from EatingWell: October/November 2005. Each recipe will make: 1 large loaf (9-by-5-inch pan), or 3 mini loaves (6-by-3-inch pan, 2-cup capacity), or 6 mini Bundt cakes (6-cup mini Bundt pan, scant 1-cup capacity per cake), or 12 muffins (standard 12-cup, 2 1/2-inch muffin pan).
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (see notes and tips) or 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk (see Tips)
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups ripe pears (peeled and diced)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts (plus more for topping if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE VARIOUS OVEN TEMPS FOR DIFFERENT PAN SIZES!
- Preheat oven to 400°F for muffins, mini loaves and mini Bundts. Or, 375°F for a 9x5 metal loaf pan. (Reduce oven temperature to 350F for Pyrex loaf pan).
- Coat pan(s) with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar, butter, oil and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Add pears and toasted hazelnuts. Stir just to combine; do not over mix.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan(s). Top with additional hazelnuts, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean,.
- NOTE BAKE TIMES FOR DIFFERENT PAN SIZES: .
- 22 to 25 minutes for muffins or mini Bundts,.
- 35 minutes for mini loaves baked at 400F,.
- 1 hour 10 minutes for a 9x5 metal loaf pan baked at 375F, or REDUCED to 350°F for Pyrex.
- Let cool in the pan(s) for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Tips & Notes:.
- Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
- No buttermilk? Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1 cup milk.
- Pan Options: Each of these recipes will make 1 large loaf (9-by-5-inch pan), or 3 mini loaves (6-by-3-inch pan, 2-cup capacity), or 6 mini Bundt cakes (6-cup mini Bundt pan, scant 1-cup capacity per cake), or 12 muffins (standard 12-cup, 2 1/2-inch muffin pan).