1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Modified from EatingWell: October/November 2005. Each recipe will make: 1 large loaf (9-by-5-inch pan), or 3 mini loaves (6-by-3-inch pan, 2-cup capacity), or 6 mini Bundt cakes (6-cup mini Bundt pan, scant 1-cup capacity per cake), or 12 muffins (standard 12-cup, 2 1/2-inch muffin pan).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (see notes and tips) or 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk (see Tips)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups ripe pears (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts (plus more for topping if desired)
- 1NOTE VARIOUS OVEN TEMPS FOR DIFFERENT PAN SIZES!
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F for muffins, mini loaves and mini Bundts. Or, 375°F for a 9x5 metal loaf pan. (Reduce oven temperature to 350F for Pyrex loaf pan).
- 3Coat pan(s) with cooking spray.
- 4Whisk eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar, butter, oil and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined.
- 5Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- 6Add pears and toasted hazelnuts. Stir just to combine; do not over mix.
- 7Transfer batter to the prepared pan(s). Top with additional hazelnuts, if desired.
- 8Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean,.
- 9NOTE BAKE TIMES FOR DIFFERENT PAN SIZES: .
- 1022 to 25 minutes for muffins or mini Bundts,.
- 1135 minutes for mini loaves baked at 400F,.
- 121 hour 10 minutes for a 9x5 metal loaf pan baked at 375F, or REDUCED to 350°F for Pyrex.
- 13Let cool in the pan(s) for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- 14Tips & Notes:.
- 15Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
- 16No buttermilk? Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1 cup milk.
- 17Pan Options: Each of these recipes will make 1 large loaf (9-by-5-inch pan), or 3 mini loaves (6-by-3-inch pan, 2-cup capacity), or 6 mini Bundt cakes (6-cup mini Bundt pan, scant 1-cup capacity per cake), or 12 muffins (standard 12-cup, 2 1/2-inch muffin pan).
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear Hazelnut Loaf, Mini-Bundts, or Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.1
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.0 mg
- Sodium 179.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: