My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1---For pears---
- 2Peel, halve, core and de-stem pears.
- 3Pour entire bottle of sangria in large saucepan or small pot.
- 4Add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 5Stir until sugar is dissolved over a high heat-creating a syrup mixture.
- 6Place pear halves in syrup mixture, ensuring that they are at least 90% covered.
- 7You can add a bit of water and more sugar if needed.
- 8Allow the pears to poach over high heat until they soften, but are still slightly firm.
- 9The firmness is a personal preference.
- 10I like them more firm--about 40 minutes.
- 11When they are poached to your satisfaction, remove the pears and set them aside.
- 12Leave the syrup mixture on the high heat- reduce until thickened.
- 13---For toffee--- Take out a baking sheet Place butter and brown sugar in medium sauce pan Stir over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble Lower heat slightly and continuously stir until the mixture begins to hold together while you are stirring.
- 14Test for doneness by dropping a bit of the toffee from a spoon into a glass of water.
- 15If the toffee bead is hard when pressed, it is done.
- 16Spread toffee out on baking sheet.
- 17Distribute chocolate chips evenly on toffee.
- 18When they begin to show a sheen, spread them out with a spatula so the chocolate covers all of the toffee.
- 19Place in refrigerator until well hardened.
- 20Break into manageable sized pieces, a few larger than the others.
- 21---For cream--- With a whisk or mixer, whip the cream and confectioner's sugar until the cream can stand on its own.
- 22It should start to form peaks without getting lumpy.
- 23Lumpy means you are about to make butter instead of whipped cream.
- 24This is from experience.
- 25---To Plate this dessert-- Drizzle the plate with your syrup Place the pear halves, cut side down on the plate so the wide ends are together.
- 26Stand a larger piece of toffee between the pear halves.
- 27You may have to tuck the bottom edge under one of the pear halves and let it lean a bit.
- 28Place healthy dollops of creme anywhere toffee and pear meet.
- 29Heck, put it anywhere you like!
- 30Break up smaller pieces of toffee and scatter them around the plate a bit.
- 31Serve immediately or you will pick at it and it won't be pretty anymore, then you'll end up eating it yourself.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear Halves Poached in Sangria With Toffee and Cream
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 650.2
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 95.1 mg
- Sodium 141.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 82.1 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: