Recipe by loof
From a Galveston-area church cookbook, this is a delicious and spicy cake - perfect for autumn or anytime!
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
awesome is right! this is moist with so much flavor, lucky I had a package of spice cake mix in my pantry leftover from the holidays it is no where to be found now in any of the grocery stores, thanks for sharing this great cake recipe loof!
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (29 ounce) can pears in heavy syrup
- 1 (18 ounce) package spice cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pears and reserve 1/3 cup of the syrup. Cut each pear half into 4 pieces.
- Mix brown sugar and 6 tablespoons melted butter and spread in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan. Arrange pear pieces, rounded side up, in rows on top of sugar mixture.
- Mix together cake mix, buttermilk, reserved pear syrup, oil, eggs, ginger, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix 1 minute on low speed. Scrape sides of bowl, then mix at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Pour batter over pears in pan. Bake ar 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- While cake is baking, boil together 1/2 cup butter, sugar, and water for 1 minute. Add rum. Cool.
- Frost cooled cake with cooled icing.