Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From a Galveston-area church cookbook, this is a delicious and spicy cake - perfect for autumn or anytime!
- Drain pears and reserve 1/3 cup of the syrup. Cut each pear half into 4 pieces.
- Mix brown sugar and 6 tablespoons melted butter and spread in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan. Arrange pear pieces, rounded side up, in rows on top of sugar mixture.
- Mix together cake mix, buttermilk, reserved pear syrup, oil, eggs, ginger, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix 1 minute on low speed. Scrape sides of bowl, then mix at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Pour batter over pears in pan. Bake ar 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- While cake is baking, boil together 1/2 cup butter, sugar, and water for 1 minute. Add rum. Cool.
- Frost cooled cake with cooled icing.