Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Here is a gorgeous looking, great tasting dessert that is not too bad for the waistline.
- 3 ripe but firm pears (Bosc, Comice or Anjou)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (You can substitute white)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350F, Spray a 10" pie plate or quiche pan.
- Peel, halve and core the pears, place pear halves cut side down and cut into1/2" slices across the pear, Keep the pear halves intact. Brush the surface of the pears with lemon juice and the melted butter, set aside. In a bowl stir together the flour& baking powder, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add apple juice concentrate& vanilla, beat until stiff peaks form Fold in the flour mixture& almonds.
- Gently stir in the skim milk.
- Turn the batter into the prepared pie plate.
- Gently lift each pear half and press gently to fan the slices slightly.
- Place the pear halves, stem end to the center of the batter, place other halves around as spokes of a wheel leaving some space between the pears (only as much room as the plate will allow). Bake for 25- 35 minutes or until golden.
awesome! This was a big hit with my family. My always-seeking-protein brothers loved that there are almonds in this. My healthy parents loved the whole wheat, and even my sister, who usually doesn't eat pears loved it!