Here is a gorgeous looking, great tasting dessert that is not too bad for the waistline.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ripe but firm pears (Bosc, Comice or Anjou)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (You can substitute white)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1Preheat oven to 350F, Spray a 10" pie plate or quiche pan.
- 2Peel, halve and core the pears, place pear halves cut side down and cut into1/2" slices across the pear, Keep the pear halves intact. Brush the surface of the pears with lemon juice and the melted butter, set aside. In a bowl stir together the flour& baking powder, set aside.
- 3In a large mixing bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 4Gradually add apple juice concentrate& vanilla, beat until stiff peaks form Fold in the flour mixture& almonds.
- 5Gently stir in the skim milk.
- 6Turn the batter into the prepared pie plate.
- 7Gently lift each pear half and press gently to fan the slices slightly.
- 8Place the pear halves, stem end to the center of the batter, place other halves around as spokes of a wheel leaving some space between the pears (only as much room as the plate will allow). Bake for 25- 35 minutes or until golden.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear Frangipane
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.5
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 3.5 mg
- Sodium 53.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 3.8 g