Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serve the shortcake warm topped with fruit mixture and whipped dessert topping. You can use apples in place of pears in this.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup currants or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 medium pears or 3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cranberries
- frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Lightly grease an 8x8x2-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
- FOR SHORTCAKE:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, the granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in currants.
- Combine milk, sour cream and egg; add to flour mixture.
- Stir just to moisten.
- Spread the dough in prepared pan.
- Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- In a large skillet, melt the 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; stir in the brown sugar and nutmeg until combined.
- Add pears. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cranberries.
- Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes more or until cranberries pop.
- Remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve the shortcake warm topped with fruit mixture and whipped dessert topping.