Recipe by Ceezie
This makes a nice sweet mix to have on your toast or to mix into your oatmeal. You can also use this to make a vinaigrette. Use 1/4 cup of this mix, 2 tbsp golden balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp olive oil - spread over greens. Recipe Source: BHG Canning Book (I changed it a bit)
Top Review by 3KillerBs
Quite tasty, I increased the ratio of pears to cranberries because I had a lot of pears and found it a bit strong as written but wouldn't hesitate to make it as is another time.
- 5 cups pears, peel, core and chop
- 16 ounces cranberries
- 4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded orange peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6 qt saucepan combine pears, cranberries, sugar, water, lemon juice, orange peel, cinnamon and allspice. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil gently, stirring frequently, for 20-25 min or until the mixture is thickened and sheets off a metal spoon. (Dip a metal spoon in the boiling mixture and it will slide off in sheets rather then dip off - if its the right consistency).
- Ladle hot mixture into jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe off rims and adjust lids till finger tight.
- Process jars in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.