Recipe by Steve P.
Delicious coffee cake courtesy: The Inn on Sea Street, Bed and Breakfast, Hyannis, Massachusetts
Top Review by Mary Scheffert
The combination of pears, nutmeg, ginger & pecans in this recipe is incredible, and the aroma of it permeated the whole house while it was baking--it was simply wonderful. This is one of the most delicious coffee cakes I have ever tasted! I would recommend this recipe to anyone - it was very easy to make, and I will make this again...and again...and again! -M
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco cooking oil
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups chopped ripe pears
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together flour, sugars, salt, nutmeg and oil.
- Set aside 1 cup of mixture for topping.
- Add 2 cups chopped ripe pear to the rest of the above mixture.
- Add egg, buttermilk, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Topping: Add ginger and pecans to 1 cup of reserved mixture.
- Spread in greased 9" x 13" x 2" sheet pan.
- Sprinkle topping over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.