Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Desserts from the Famous Loveless Cafe
- 2 -3 large pears (Anjou)
- 1 cup canol oil (or other neutral vegetable oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°; grease and flour a 10-inch round cake pan.
- Peel and core the pears and cut them into 1/2-inch dice; measure out 1 1/2 cups for this recipe.
- Place the oil, sugar, and eggs in a bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, and ginger over the egg mixture.
- Fold a few times by hand with a rubber spatula.
- Toss the pears evenly over the mixture and gold together to mix evenly.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, rub walnuts, brown sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together until evenly mixed.
- Sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a pick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Carefully invert the cake onto a plate to unmold; place a small wire rack on top of the cake and invert again right side up.
- Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Try another recipe. This one was very oily and greasy. It also stuck to my greased pan. I had to pry the cake out of the pan. Which was surprising because the cake was so greasy. The taste was ok. You may want to try something else instead.