Recipe by Sydney Mike
Online at homecooking.about.com are a number of recipes that I've not found elsewhere, & this is one of them. I use this primarily as an appetizer spread or dip.
Top Review by RoseNZ
Great recipe - perfect combination of flavours. I made it with some preserved pears that were a couple of years old and needed using up. Now we have pears from our own tree so will make again using raw pears with skin and see how that goes.
- 3 lbs bartlett pears, unpeeled, cored, diced (about 7 cups)
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup preserved gingerroot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine brown sugar & vinegar in large saucepan & bring to boil.
- Add diced pears & all other ingredients.
- Cook slowly, stirring from time to time, until mixture is thick, about 1 hour.
- Either pour chutney into hot, sterilized jars & seal, OR keep covered in refrigerator 3-4 weeks.
- Can be used as a side with lamb or ham or as an appetizer with cream cheese & crackers.