Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This delicious chutney is the perfect addition to grilled chicken or pork. It's also great on sandwiches or with cheese. (use under-ripe pears).
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 cayenne pepper or 1 jalapeno pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Combine all the ingredients except for the raisins and nuts in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, until fruit is very tender and the liquid has thickened, stirring frequently.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stirring in the raisins and nuts.
- Allow to cool to room temperature. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
I tried this recipe today as I have a lot of pears on hand,I was not quite sure the size of pears & apple,I used 8 small clap pears & 3 small golden delicious apples.I also left out the hot peppers as we do not like to much heat.I used candied ginger as that is what I had.I also had no pecans so I left them out. All in all a very good chutney.I will be making a bigger batch next time,to freeze & give as gifts.Apart from the size of the ingredients being a bit vague I was very happy with the end result.Also I was not sure wether or not to cover the pan whilst it was simmering,I did do it but I think I should have left it uncovered as I ended up uncovering it after 30 minutes to reduce the liquid,almost another 30 minutes.I am sure it would be equally good with any other fruit & vegetable combo you may have on hand,varying the seasonings accordingly.5 stars for taste & texture,the 4 is for me not quite understanding a few of the instuctions.Try it you will not be dissapointed
This was a wonderful chutney recipe, I have just made two batches, it goes great with any meat. I will keep this recipe to use again and again.