Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Coat a 9-inch round pan with cooking spray.
- Beat butter or margarine in large bowl until creamy; add white sugar, and beat until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; add alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Spread a little more than half of the batter in the prepared pan.
- Cover with pear slices and dust with chocolate, and add remaining batter by tablespoons covering well pears and chocolate.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes, until toothpick test done.
- Remove pan to wire rack to cool.
- If you wish dust with confectioners' sugar.
This is lovely. I made a few minor changes: I used whole wheat pastry flour, and added an extra pear, and my chocolate bar was a little skimpy. It also didn't want to grate, so I just chopped it up with a chopper. Because of the extra pear (I think) I had to bake it for 70 minutes and it was still a little soft in the very middle. However, it was still wonderful - very rich without being overwhelming, and the pear, chocolate and buttery vanilla cake all balanced each other wonderfully.
The recipe worked perfectly for me proportionwise. I did use about 1 and 1/2 fresh pears though. Great recipe. Thanks.