1 hr 20 mins
Simply Chris's Note:
I found this recipe in The Wine Spectator, and ever since have given up making my old standby which was Apple, Pecan and Sausage stuffing. I normally make this outside the turkey (or chicken) but since there are no eggs, it is probably safe use to as a stuffing. It is great leftover for sandwiches and I always make extra! This version uses less butter than the original. It is important to use fresh chestnuts, if you can. Water Chestnuts change the taste, and chestnuts from a jar just don't hold up well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/2 lb butter, melted
- 2 bosc pears, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh chestnuts, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped,to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh sage leaf, chopped
- 8 cups rustic country bread, 1/2 inch dice (I use whole wheat bread)
- 3 -4 cups turkey broth or 3 -4 cups chicken stock
- salt and black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Saute the onion, carrot and celery over low heat in butter until soft, about 8 minutes.
- 3Combine the pears, chestnuts, sausage, herbs and bread in a large bowl.
- 4Add the sauteed vegetables and butter to the bowl.
- 5Lightly toss.
- 6Add enough stock (a little at a time) to lightly moisten the bread without allowing it to become soggy.
- 7Handle the dressing gently when mixing.
- 8Season to taste with the salt and pepper, being especially generous with the black pepper.
- 9Spoon the dressing into a buttered 9x13 baking pan and cover with foil.
- 10Bake for about 45 minutes.
- 11Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the temperature of the dressing reaches 160 degrees.
- 12Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear, Chestnut and Sage Dressing/Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 664.6
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 56.5 mg
- Sodium 1068.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 22.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves