1 hr 20 mins
From The Vegetarian Society http://www.vegsoc.org/news/1998/celsoup.html Posted here for safe keeping Celeriac always seems to be the poor relation of the root vegetables as people tend to look at its knobbly exterior and shy away from experimenting with it. This is a pity as it has a slightly sweet celery flavour and purées to a beautifully smooth texture. If you cannot obtain celeriac, then try using a squash instead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs pears, peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 -8 ounces vegetarian Stilton cheese, crumbled (optional & omit for vegans*)
- 1 ounce single cream or 1 ounce soya cream
- chopped chives, to garnish
- 1Cut the pears into slices and poach them in 300ml/1/2 pint water until they are tender. Blend the pears and water together and reserve.
- 2Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion until transluscent.
- 3Add the celeriac and cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- 4Add the vegetable stock and blended pears, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 5Liquidise the soup in a blender and return to a clean pan. Re-heat gently, season to taste and stir in the crumbled Stilton,* if using.
- 6Serve immediately with a swirl of dairy or soya* cream and a sprinkling of chopped chives.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear, Celeriac and Stilton Soup
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.7
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.1 mg
- Sodium 79.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian Stilton cheese