Pear Cardamom Upside Down Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a small skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, stirring constantly. When the sugar dissolves, pour it into the pan. Arrange the sliced pears on top of the syrup in an overlapping circle.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cardamom, and salt, stir to combine. In a separate bowl, blend butter and granulated sugar, then blend in eggs. Alternate dry ingredients with milk, blending to combine. Add vanilla.
- Spoon batter into pan, starting in center and gently spreading on top of the fruit.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until done.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then cover with a plate and invert it onto the plate. Leave the pan on for two minutes, then gently remove the pan.