Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wrap this in fancy plastic wrap and give it to the ones you love--or, just eat it yourself and enjoy.
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped unpeeled pears (1-2)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease bottom of loaf pan.
- Mix all ingredients, except topping, in a large bowl.
- Pour into loaf pan. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle on top.
- Bake 55-65 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean cool 10 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely, 1 hour.
Excellent! The smell of this bread baking is so tempting - rich cardamom scent wafts through the air. The bread is very moist from the pear - the flavor of which is very pronounced. The little chunks of pear get so tender and are well complimented by the cardamom. This was delicious. NOTE: I mixed my liquids up separately with a whisk before adding to the dry ingredients.
I doubled it, used half whole wheat and half white, added an additional tsp of cinnamon and an additional tsp of cardoman and a cup of craisins, baked it in a bundt cake mold and it is WONDERFUL!
This was very easy to make. It took less time to mix together than to preheat my oven. More importantly, this cake tastes wonderful and has the most enticing fragrance. I cut into the cake within 5 minutes of removing it from the oven and I ate 1/3 before I could make myself stop. The only change that I might make next time is to use more cardamom because I love the taste.