Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups coarsely grated peeled bosc pears
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temp
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans with 1 1/2 inch high sides.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices in large bowl.
- Make well in center of flour mixture.
- Add oil, eggs, milk and vanilla; Whisk just until evenly moistened.
- Fold in pears and nuts and divide between pans; Bake cakes for about 45 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon peel in large bowl until fluffy.
- Add honey and beat until smooth.
- If frosting is very soft, chill until firm enough to spread.
- Place 1 cake layer, flat side up on a platter.
- Spread 1 cup frosting on cake.
- Top with second layer with flat side down.
- Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
This cake is delicious and unusual. The frosting makes it unique and the pears an incredibly moist spice cake. Thank you for the posting
What a wonderful cake!! I have never made anything like this before so I wasn't sure what to expect, but boy I am so glad I tried this one! Wonderful flavors and textures -- you just have to try this one to believe it. Thanks so much for this great recipe!! Dianne
Amazing - maybe the best cake I've ever made. A hugh hit at a party - it dissapeared instantly.