Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
From the AnnistonStar.com -- Modified recipe by Prudence Hilburn.
Make and share this Pear Cake With Caramel Glaze recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter (not margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (reserve 3 T to dredge pears and nuts)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh pears (firm ~ peeled and chopped )
- 1 cup pecans (or walnuts ~ TOASTED and chopped)
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a Bundt pan.
- Toast chopped pecans (or walnuts) in a medium-hot iron skillet until nuts are fragrant. Be careful or they will burn. Set aside to cool.
- Cream together the butter, oil, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir to mix.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Add reserved 3 tablespoons flour to pears and toasted nuts ~ stir to coat; then stir into cake batter.
- Spoon into prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of cake.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Invert onto a wire rack or cake plate. Allow cake to cool completely before slicing. Drizzle with caramel glaze, if desired.
- Caramel Glaze directions:.
- Combine salt, butter, evaporated milk, and brown sugar in saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook gently (not a hard rolling boil) for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla; stir, and drizzle over cooled cake.