Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (14 ounce) can pears, drained and chopped, reserve juice
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pear juice
- hot water
- Cream sugar and oil; add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Add flour and cinnamon with a spoon.
- Add pears and nuts.
- Pour in a greased bundt pan and bake 1-1/2 hours at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Add pear juice and enough hot water to make a thin consistency to pour over cake.
- Allow cake to cool.
A great cake even though directions needed a little tweaking. The recipe didn't give the size for the can of pears so I used a 14 oz. can and reserved the pear juice for the drizzle. To determine the pan size, I checked other recipes with similar quantities of ingredients, and used a bundt pan which worked out fine. Good with a great cup of coffee or tea.
I had a couple of problems with this recipe. First of all, there is no mention of the pan size, and 1-1/2 hours to cook a cake at 325 degrees seemed like crispy crittur time to me. I made the recipe in a 9x13 pan and baked it for about 40 minutes. It was done, but this is a very heavy cake without any leavening -- it was more like a brownie than a cake. Perhaps I didn't do it right, but w/o better directions, I did the best I could. I wouldn't make it again unless I knew that I had done something wrong and had not given the recipe a fair shake.