Recipe by Nolita_Food
I found this recipe on the Boston Globe. It's super easy and it tastes great.
Top Review by Marie Nixon
Delicious. Very moist and very cinnamon-y! My pears kind of sank to the bottom but no harm done with that. This cake would taste great with a strong cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 medium comice pears, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 8x8-inch pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt.
- In a bowl, combine pears, cinnamon, and 1/4 cup of sugar, toss lightly.
- Cream butter and remaining sugar together, add egg and vanilla and mix till the batter is pale and smooth.
- Add milk alternatively with the dry ingredients, starting and ending with flour.
- Pour half of the batter into baking pan.
- Cover with pears, then pour the remaining half of the batter, covering the pears completely.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.