1/3 Photos of Pear Butterscotch Pie
Queen Dana's Note:
This is by Melissa Roberts from Gourmet September 2009. This makes a very yummy pie and is a nice change from apple.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 lbs pears, peeled, each cut into 6 wedges, and cored (about 5 firm-ripe Bartlett or Anjou )
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- double recipe all-butter pastry dough
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1Put a baking sheet on middle rack of oven and preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, then whisk in brown sugar, breaking up any lumps. Gently toss pears with brown sugar mixture, lemon juice, and vanilla and let stand 5 to 15 minutes to macerate fruit.
- 3Roll out 1 piece of dough (keep remaining disk chilled) on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Roll out remaining piece of dough into a 13-inch round. Reserve scraps.
- 4Transfer filling to shell. Dot with butter, then cover with pastry round. Trim edges, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang (reserve scraps). Press edges together to seal, then fold under. Lightly brush top crust with some of egg wash, then cut 3 (1-inch-long) vents.
- 5Roll out dough scraps about 1/8 inch thick and cut out leaf shapes with cutters (or a knife). Arrange decoratively on top of pie, pressing gently to help them adhere. Lightly brush top crust and cutouts with some of egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- 6Bake pie on hot baking sheet 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 375°F and bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes more. Cool to warm or room temperature, 2 to 3 hours.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear Butterscotch Pie
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.4
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 58.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 38.5 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: