Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
On a cold day this is perfect.
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup rum (or 1 tsp rum extract & water)
- 2 cups pears, peeled, sliced, ripe
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 cups bread, white, coarsely torn with no crusts
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat rum mixture and pour over raisins; set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in frypan, add pears and cook 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar, stir and cook 2 more minutes and then put aside.
- Place bread in bowl.
- Scald milk and pour over bread.
- Let soak 5 minutes.
- Add raisin mixture and pears with syrup.
- Beat together eggs, rest of sugar, vanilla and stir in bread mixture.
- Pour in buttered baking dish, bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
Great recipe. Made exactly as directed. Was good fresh with vanilla ice cream, but was even better the next day, after the flavors had a chance to really blend. Thanks for the recipe.