Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law. The muffins are delicious.
- 1 1⁄4 cups 100% all-bran cereal
- 1 (16 ounce) canbartlett pears in light syrup, drained and diced
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 slightly beaten eggs or 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- Combine bran cereal, pears, and skim milk. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Mix together flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add oil or applesauce and egg or egg substitue to the pear mixture.
- Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. May sprinkle with mixture of cinnamon and sugar before baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees 18 to 20 minutes.
Very tender, moist bran muffin! I had concerns that using the applesauce would affect texture. I added a generous amount of cinnamon to the batter. I think this would also work well with cardamom. Could easily sub out the pear for peaches, apricots -whatever! Very versatile recipe. Thakns!
These were very moist inside and somewhat crusty on the outside. I didn't have canned pears, but used a couple of ripe fresh pears, diced. I didn't put the cinnamon topping on, but added 1/2 teas. cinnamon and 1/4 teas. cardamom to the batter. I used egg and oil, but will try again with applesauce. Thanks for this keeper.
Very good muffins! I make bran muffins often, but had never thought to add pears. Since my son loves pears, I had to try this one. I made as directed, using canola oil and a large egg. I think the addition of cinnamon and sugar on the tops is a must--the cinnamon adds a nice element of flavor, and the extra sweetness of the sugar doesn't hurt at all. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!