Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great way to use ripe or over ripe pears. I had a hard time with submitting it so to clarify, 1-1/2 cups of the pear sauce is used in the bar recipe. You use the other 1-1/2 c of sauce as a garnish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
Pear Sauce use 1 1/2 cups
- 6 cups pears, any variety (pared, cored and diced)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, soda, salt, and cloves. Mix well.
- Stir in eggs, oil, and pear sauce till well mixed.
- Spread batter in sprayed 9 by 13.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or till center tests clean.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cut into bars and serve with ice cream or whipped cream and extra pear sauce.
- For pear sauce:.
- Mix all ingredients together in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes till pears are tender.
- Puree in blender .
I had some pears that were going bad so I made 1.5 of the sauce. In the bars I used 2 eggs and 1/2 cup oil and they were quite good. We put a thin layer of the pear sauce on top which was ok, but I think I'd prefer it without any pear sauce on top. We were divided here; 1/2 of us loved the pear sauce on top and the other 1/2 did not. I'm going to freeze the pear sauce in 1.5 cup portions to pull out and use to make this cake. It will be a good lunchbox addition. Thanks.
A few weeks ago I had pears coming out of my ears, so prepared this pear sauce, using a stick blender to puree, and froze to use later in this recipe. Would describe this as a snack cake, and we enjoyed it very much plain or with a dusting of powdered sugar. Didn't particlularly like the pear sauce on top, though, it was like eating applesauce spooned on top of cake. Next time I would freeze the extra sauce so there would be enough to prepare the bars another day. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This was awesome! We had a whole basket of pears that were going bad faster than we could eat them! :) What a great way to use them up. The squares had a cake like texture that was yummy. I also served it with vanilla icecream and the pear sauce. We had company and the whole 9x13 pan got eaten up! Thanks for the great recipe.