Recipe by SweetSueAl
From TOH. A combination of pear and coconut
Top Review by mybirdzone
These turned out well. Followed recipe exactly except I only had light brown sugar on hand and it worked fine. You can't really taste the ginger though. The amount of pears and coconut is good. The crust is ample for the 9" sq dish. The only thing is I took it out of the oven right at the max time and it probably could have stayed in a few minutes longer. Different, but good. Would try with dark brown sugar to see if that makes it taste different. With the light brown sugar it has a familiar taste to it. Husband said they were good but too sweet. I might try reducing sugar next time. **update: later that night when I went to cut the rest of the bars, the crust was rock hard. Next time I won't cook it as long 28 minutes. The crust was extremely hard when biting into it too.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter (cold)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pears (medium, peeled and diced)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, flaked
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger; stir into egg mixture just until moistened. Gently stir in pears and coconut.
- Spread over warm crust. Bake 20-23 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. .