1 hr 45 mins
From Eating Well.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1To prepare crust: Place flour, oats, granulated sugar and salt in a food processor; process until the oats are finely ground. Add butter one piece at a time, pulsing once or twice after each addition, until incorporated. Add oil and water and pulse just until the dough starts to come together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it a few times until it holds together. Form the dough into a 5-inch disk, wrap in plastic or wax paper and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°F
- 3To prepare filling: Toss pears and apple with lemon juice in a large bowl.
- 4Place brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and ginger in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet; cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until the butter and sugar are melted and the mixture starts to bubble. Remove from the heat. Starting at the center of the pan, arrange the pear and apple slices in concentric circles, overlapping the slices and adding another layer until all the slices are in the pan. Scatter cranberries on top.
- 5Return the pan to medium-low heat and bring the liquid to a simmer. (It might be hard to see the simmering—take a peek under the fruit or listen for the bubbling.) Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, gently swirling the pan occasionally, until the sauce becomes a thick, caramel-like glaze, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 6Roll the dough out between sheets of parchment or wax paper into a 12-inch circle. Peel off the top sheet and invert the dough over the fruit. Peel off the remaining paper. Quickly tuck the edges of the crust down into the sides of the pan. Prick the top with a fork.
- 7Transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until the crust is just beginning to brown around the edges, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to release the crust. Place a serving plate larger than the pan on top of it and invert the tart onto the plate (it may take a light shaking to release the tart from the pan). Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear, Apple & Cranberry Tarte Tartin
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.4
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 153.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 3.2 g