Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 15 mins
Cook1 hr 10 mins
My mom made this chutney and I asked her for the recipe because I liked it so well. I had no idea it used such a bizzare combination of ingredients. I added it on top of cheese, ham, and crackers. Spi-cy.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 5 firm pears, peeled,cored,and chopped
- 3 cooking apples, peeled,cored,and chopped
- 3 fresh peaches, peeled,and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,cored,and chopped
- 2 lemons, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 orange, finely chopped
- 2 cups cider vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1 (16 ounce) package brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) package raisins
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (2 2/3 ounce) jar crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Tie the peppercorns up in a piece of cheesecloth.
- Add the peppercorns and the rest of the ingredients to a large pot.
- Bring mixture to a boil; lower heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove peppercorns in cheesecloth.
- Pour mixture into hot sterilzed jars, leave 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims.
- Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process jars in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Let cool.