Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe hails from The Spa at Norwich Inn.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 5 ripe bosc pears, peeled, cored and chunked
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup full bodied white wine, such as Riesling
- In stockpot over moderate to high heat, add olive oil and saute the next 6 ingredients.
- Cook, stirring frequently till the pears and onion brown lightly, about 15 minutes.
- Add salt, broth and wine and bring to simmer.
- Cook till pears are soft, another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove bay leaf from mixture and discard.
- Carefully puree broth in blender.
- Return to pot and adjust seasonings to taste.
- reheat if needed, before serving.