Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
An easy and healthy dessert which makes an elegant presentation. Made with nice fresh fruit.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs pears, bosc or any other hard fleshed pear peeled,cored and diced
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs, plus
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 11 phyllo pastry sheets (12 if using garnish)
- Heat oven to to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine pears, raspberries, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, ginger, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, lemon peel and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining sugar, breadcrumbs and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- On a piece of waxed paper, place one sheet of phyllo.
- Brush with butter, sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Repeat with remaining sheets.
- Spread fruit mixture on phyllo lengthwise leaving 1" border on all sides.
- Fold in sides and roll jelly roll fashion.
- Place on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Brush strudel with butter.
- Optional: for a garnish, take one sheet of phyllo and cut sheet into 2" wide strips.
- Fold each strip lengthwise in half.
- Gather and roll each strip to make rosettes.
- Arrange on top of strudel.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until top is golden and fruit is tender.
- Watch it so it doesn't get too brown.
- Shield with foil if necessary, but don't tuck the foil down around the sides, just lay it on top.
- Otherwise it will get soggy.