Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Light and refreshing, the perfect ending to a rich meal. This is also low in fat! Adapted from Classic Home Cooking.
- 3⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pears, peeled and cored
- 1 inch piece ginger in syrup, finely chopped (you may use candied ginger, adding 1 tbls. honey or maple syrup, if desired)
- 2 egg whites
- candied ginger, cut in strips, to garnish
- Place the sugar, measured water, and lemon juice into a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, add the pears, and poach gently, basting occasionally with the sugar syrup, for 20 to 25 minutes, until the pears are tender. Cool, then puree in a food processor.
- Add the chopped ginger to the pear puree. Pour the pear mixture into a freezer container, and freeze for 2 hours, until just mushy. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and whisk gently to break down any large crystals.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry, then fold into the pear mixture. Return to the freezer and freeze until firm. Transfer the sorbet to the refrigerator to soften for about 30 minutes. Garnish with the strips of ginger. Serve and enjoy!
Made this as a cool treat during the current warm days, & it is definitely that, a wonderful cool & refreshing treat! A very nice keeper of a recipe! Thanks for sharing it!