Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This classic pear crisp is enlivened by freshly grated ginger. The toasted pecan topping is good enough to stand on it's own. A fragrant dollop of whipped cream infused with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg is a delicious addition when serving.
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt, see instructions
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 medium pears, peeled,cored and cut lengthwise in 1/2 inch slices
SPICED WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Toast the pecans in the oven for about 8 mintues, then set aside.
- When cool enough to handle, chop coarsely.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, brownsugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Using a spoon, slowly stir in the butter.
- Add the pecans.
- In another bowl, mix the ginger, lemon juice, sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Mix in the sliced pears.
- Turn into a 2-2 1/2 QT baking dish and cover with the topping mixture.
- Bake until the topping is crisp and pears are soft when tested with the tip of a knife, about 40 minutes.
- Whip the cream, then beat in the sugar and spices.
- Serve with the warm crisp.
I. Love. This. Crisp! Pears are my fiance's favorite fruit, and I absolutely love them too, so when I found beautiful pears on sale recently I knew I had to make something wonderful with them. This was the perfect choice! The only thing I did differently was to add a wee bit more sugar to the whipped cream, and a tad more spice. Thank you for sharing!!
Very, yummy! I added about 1/4 cup of whole rolled oats to the topping for some crunch. We substituted vanilla ice cream for the spiced whipped cream.
Fantastic recipe Marie, followed your instructions exactly and it turned out brilliant. I served it with a brandy cream that I had left over from Christmas so didn't do your spiced whipped cream, that will have to wait for the next time I make it. Thank you for providing a refreshing change to my humble apple crumble!