This classic pear crisp is enlivened by freshly grated ginger. The toasted pecan topping is good enough to stand on it's own. A fragrant dollop of whipped cream infused with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg is a delicious addition when serving.
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt, see instructions
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 medium pears, peeled,cored and cut lengthwise in 1/2 inch slices
SPICED WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Toast the pecans in the oven for about 8 mintues, then set aside.
- When cool enough to handle, chop coarsely.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, brownsugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Using a spoon, slowly stir in the butter.
- Add the pecans.
- In another bowl, mix the ginger, lemon juice, sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Mix in the sliced pears.
- Turn into a 2-2 1/2 QT baking dish and cover with the topping mixture.
- Bake until the topping is crisp and pears are soft when tested with the tip of a knife, about 40 minutes.
- Whip the cream, then beat in the sugar and spices.
- Serve with the warm crisp.