Recipe by Baby Kato
This recipe has been submitted for play in ZWT8 – Australia/New Zealand. This recipe was found at Wattie’s - Food in a Minute website. This cake sounds wonderful, another recipe that I will be trying, but I will be using maple syrup instead of the flavored syrup, I think it will taste much better.
Top Review by ellie_
Delicious snack cake -- I made this in a 13 x 9 pan and cooked for 45 minutes at 350. I used 2 pears (but my pears were pretty big). Wonderful cake which we enjoyed very much. Thanks for sharing!
- 150 g butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, soft
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 410 g pears, quartered, drained
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- . Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease and line the base of a 22cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
- Cream butter, brown sugar and Maple Syrup until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs a small amount at a time to avoid the mixture curdling.
- Dissolve baking soda in the milk.
- Sift flour, baking powder and ground ginger into the creamed mixture, alternately with the milk, mixing carefully until combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and place the drained pear on top of the cake, placing them cut side down onto the mixture.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked.
- Place cake on a cooling rack for 15 minutes, then remove from the cake tin.
- Brush the warm cake with the glaze. Serve warm with custard, cream or ice cream.
- To make the glaze mix the cornflour with 1 tablespoon of cold water to form a paste.
- Place the maple syrup into a saucepan, stir in the cornflour over a medium heat until thickened and boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little before brushing onto the cake.