Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe appeared in our local newspaper. I found that the fresh pears and cranberries with crunchy walnuts make up the slightly tart filling for these fall-time fruit squares.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups diced peeled and cored pears
- 3⁄4 cup frozen cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, mix together rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Press 2 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture into a lightly greased 9" x 9" casserole dish or cake pan.
- Reserve remaining crumb mixture for topping.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together pears, cranberries, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently; simmer for 10 minutes or until pears are tender.
- Let cool slightly.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread filling over base in casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining crumbs over the top.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until brown at edges and golden brown in centre.
- Let cool; cut into squares.