Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Recipe from Chef Hans Stierli, developed for the Avello Spa and Health Club of the Westin Resort and Spa in Whistler, BC.
- 2 red Anjou pears
- 7 ounces arugula (or other mild salad green)
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- 4 ounces walnut halves
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- Wash the pears; quarter each pear for a total of 8 quarters; remove the cores; arrange on a baking sheet and place in a 80° C (160° F) oven overnight to dry.
- Caramelize the sugar in a non-stick pan with the walnuts; mix well until they are golden brown; let cool on oiled parchment; chop into small dice.
- Dip the arugula leaves into the balsamic vinaigrette and arrange a nice bouquet on each plate.
- Cut the cheese into 8 slices; top each pear wedge with a slice of cheese; place in the oven to warm for a few minutes.
- Arrange two pear wedges on top of the arugula on each plate; sprinkle with caramelized walnuts.