Recipe by ~Leslie~
These little pizzas are full of adult flavours and served piping hot from the oven. The ingredients are surprising and taste just amazing together!
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 -8 small pita bread
- 3 large pears, ripe but firm
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere (you can also use a mixture of your favourite cheeses, grated.) or 1⁄2 lb emmenthaler cheese (you can also use a mixture of your favourite cheeses, grated.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and thinly slice onion. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onions. Lower heat as needed and saute, stirring often for 15-20 minutes or until wilted and golden.
- Peel, core and thinly slice pears. When onions are golden, stir in salt and pepper; remove from pan.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add butter to pan; return to medium heat.
- When bubbly, add pears and saute for 8-12 minutes, turning frequently until softened and lightly browned. Cool on plate.
- Lay out your pitas, and spread a small amount of grated cheese on each.
- Dividing equally, spread each round with onion, then add pear and thyme. Top with remaining cheese, and a little more freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until pizzettes are golden. Serve right away, whole or cut in half topped with a sprinkling of thyme.