Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This, to me, is the perfect fall crumble recipe. As a bonus for making it, you learn how to make your own homemade butterscotch sauce and also should have enough left over to use as a topping for ice cream or rice pudding. Yum!
- Start by making the dulce de leche.
- Take a small saucepan and heat together the sugar, butter and cream with a dash of vanilla.
- Stir gently until the sugar dissolves and then boil for three minutes.
- Take off the heat and set aside.
- Now, preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 degrees C.
- Place the pears in an ovenproof dish with the lemon juice, tossing gently to coat.
- Top the pears with the almonds, then spoon over as much dulce de leche, or home-made butterscotch sauce, as you need to cover all the pears and almonds.
- To make the crumble topping, combine the polenta, flour and sugar in a bowl, then rub in 75g of the butter and salt.
- Tip this over the pears and press down lightly.
- Dot the surface with the remaining butter and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the crumble to stand for about 10 minutes, then serve with ice cream.