Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
From "Everyday Foods" No. 19 (Jan. 2005)
- 12 ounces frozen mixed berries
- 3 lbs pears, ripe (about 5-7 pears)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed (use light if possible)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold and cut into pieces)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread frozen berries in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet; thaw for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While berries are thawing, make oatmeal topping: Mix together in a large bowl flour, sugars, allspice and salt; stir in rolled oats. Blend butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter until large, moist clumps form.
- Returning to the crisp -- prepare pears by peeling and cuting into 3/4" pieces. Combine pears in a large bowl with lemon juice, thawed berries, sugar and flour; toss well.
- Transfer pear/berry mixture to a 2-quart baking dish spritzed with baking spray for easy clean-up.
- Sprinkle evenly with chilled topping.
- Bake until fruit is tender and topping is golden (about 45 minutes). Cool at least 20 minutes, and serve with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt (if desired).