This is a unique and interesting combination of pears and avocados that I ran across while looking for salad recipes in my cookbook collection. I made it and was surprised by the resulting tangy sweet salad that blended flavors very well.
- 4 small bartlett pears
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 ripe avocados
- 8 ounces watercress
- 2 ounces arugula
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped walnuts or 2 teaspoons pecans or 2 teaspoons almonds
- 4 ounces Roquefort cheese
- 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped finely
- salt and pepper
- Halve and core the pears.
- Slice them thinly and brush with lemon juice to stop discoloration.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits and peel them.
- Carefully cut each half into five slices.
- Also brush with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Place watercress and arugala on plates to be served and arrange pears and avocados on top.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts on top.
- For the dressing combine all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake.
- Spoon dressing on top and crumble the cheese on top of it all.
- Serve immediately.
A delicious salad which I’ll certainly make again and again: a great summer dish. And very quick to prepare. I wasn’t too sure what bartlett pears are, so since the ones I had bought were average pear-size, I just used two. I arranged the slices of pear and avocado on a bed of baby spinach leaves and red lettuce leaves, and sprinkled chopped pecans and feta (since it’s what I had on hand) on top. A really tasty dressing which complemented the salad beautifully: I used walnut oil and Dijon mustard. Thank you,.::.Blink.::., for sharing this delightful recipe, which was very well received by those (who are not generally big salad eaters), whom I served it to!
Marvelous combination, as you noted, Blink. I subbed parmesan for the Roquefort but otherwise followed the recipe. This is definitely a keeper.
I loved this Delish Creamy, Crunchy, Salty, Tangy salad. The pecans I pan toasted before fine chopping. I used hazlenut oil. I did replace the pear with half the amount of apples. I do think pears would be the better choice but I didn`t have any. It seems that 1 pear pre salad would be a bit much. In the dressing I used honey mustard so I skipped the sugar. Thanks Blink!