This is a unique and interesting combination of pears and avocados that I ran across while looking for salad recipes in my cookbook collection. I made it and was surprised by the resulting tangy sweet salad that blended flavors very well.
- 4 small bartlett pears
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 ripe avocados
- 8 ounces watercress
- 2 ounces arugula
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped walnuts or 2 teaspoons pecans or 2 teaspoons almonds
- 4 ounces Roquefort cheese
- 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped finely
- salt and pepper
- Halve and core the pears.
- Slice them thinly and brush with lemon juice to stop discoloration.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits and peel them.
- Carefully cut each half into five slices.
- Also brush with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Place watercress and arugala on plates to be served and arrange pears and avocados on top.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts on top.
- For the dressing combine all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake.
- Spoon dressing on top and crumble the cheese on top of it all.
- Serve immediately.