Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This just sounds weird, but the flavors mingle and it tastes amazingly good. Everyone I've ever made it for has included it into their regular repetoire as it is fast, easy and fairly low carb. I make extra and take it for lunch the next day. This makes a nice lunch or light, refreshing dinner.
- 16 ounces polska kielbasa or 16 ounces smoked beef sausage (I use Hillshire Farms)
- 1 -2 head romaine lettuce
- 2 -3 ounces fresh gingerroot (dried won't do)
- 10 -16 ounces planters salted peanuts (I've tried other brands, they don't taste as good. Dry roasted won't do.)
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and trimmed (optional)
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly (optional)
- Slice kielbasa into coins about 1/8 inch thick.
- Grill coins until they start to carmelize, turn and cook to taste.
- As kielbasa is cooking, wash& rinse romaine leaves DO NOT TEAR, pat dry.
- Peel ginger-- I use a vegetable peeler and slice into matchstick-sized pieces-- put ginger into a small bowl or sectioned serving tray.
- Pour peanuts into bowl or section of serving tray.
- Chop cilantro (if desired) I just cut it up with scissors-- put into small bowl or sectioned serving tray.
- Slice onion (if desired) in small bowl or sectioned serving tray.
- Once Kielbasa is nicely carmelized, remove from heat and place on paper toweling, blot with another paper towel.
- You will need to have sausage, peanuts, ginger, optional cilantro and/or optional red onion on a tray or table to construct.
- To Assemble:.
- Place Romaine leaf on plate.
- Line Kielbasa coins along spine of leaf from end to tip.
- On each coin place a matchstick of ginger (or two or three).
- Sprinkle peanuts liberally along the spine (to taste).
- Add cilantro and onion to taste.
- Fold Romaine leaf like a taco or burrito and enjoy!