I can't remember where I found this. This is a tasty and filling vegetarian meal - very colorful and textured. The crushed peanuts add a nice taste and crunch to finish the dish.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style crushed tomatoes (or plain crushed tomatoes with your favorite herbs added)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained (or pinto beans)
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Saute onions, garlic and peppers in oil.
- Stir in carrots, potato, sweet potato and tomatoes.
- Simmer over low heat till just tender.
- Add beans, spinach and corn and simmer for another 10 minutes. (Add some water or stock if it seems too dry or is sticking.).
- Stir in salt, peanut butter and crushed red pepper.
- Serve over cooked rice, topped with chopped peanuts (You can stir the peanuts into the vegetables at the end of cooking, but I like to keep them nice and crunchy.).