Recipe by joe_red_45
A very easy filling, healthy soup based off a few different (more complicated) recipes on the net. No need to be picky with exact procedures here, the end product will likely taste good no matter small differences.
Top Review by Ann S.
I did some minor changes based on preferences and what I had on hand. I put in 2 large sweet potatoes and used crystallized ginger and fresh cilantro. It was delicious without all the cream and other things that would have made it less than healthy. We will have this again
- 1 large sweet potato, boiled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger (canned)
- 3 -4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can vegetable juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 -2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cilantro (dried)
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pot, add ginger, garlic and onion. Fry until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Add can of vegetable juice. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Cube potatoes and add with vegetable broth. Heat until bubbling.
- Mash potatoes using fork or potato masher.
- Stir in peanut butter and all spices except cilantro.
- Simmer for 10-20 minutes, until all ingredients are properly mixed and desired textures are attained.
- Add cilantro and water if necessary (to dilute consistency - My batch was roughly 4 cups of soup).
- Simmer for 5 minutes.