Darlene Kossman said these were very good. shes right . It says oblong pieces of cake spread with frosting and rolled in crunchy chopped peanuts. Sell for 5 cents each....old recipe, lol. ive made this and its a sponge like cake similar to angel food cake i tastes better AFTER it cools . this is probably a depression cake as it uses no oil except a little in the frosting dont worry it tastes great ,
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, salt.
- Separate eggs.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until light and lemon colored.
- Gradually beat in boiling water (temper the egg yolks or you will scramble them. i beat the hot water in at a dribble like making mayo ).
- Add sifted dry ingredients and blend well.( the batter gets thicker and sticky if you wait to long dont dawdle ).
- Fold in egg whites and vanilla.
- Spoon batter unto greased 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake in moderate oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 36 minutes or until cake tests done.
- ( i think that 20 minutes are good myself start there . i used a cookie sheet for mine if using a jelly roll pan check sooner ).
- Cool 3 minutes in pan. these bad boys do stick a little in non stick pans spray pam
- Turn out of pan; cut in 48 oblong pieces 1-1/4 x 2-1/2 ".
- For thin glaze, mix confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and vanilla together.
- Spread cake squares lightly with the thin glaze.
- Roll in finely chopped peanuts with red skins still on for color.
- Let stand on wire racks until dry enough to wrap or pack.
- Makes 4 dozen.