Recipe by fluffernutter
Brownie layer, peanut butter filling and a homemade marshmallow-y topping!
Top Review by saylaveev
I am giving a mixed review on this recipe. Firstly, let me say that both my DH and Dad and Brother both thought it was just perfect the way it was. I found the marshmellow topping to lack in any real flavor (maybe more vanilla?) and didn't add much to the dish. My mom and I both found the peanut butter part to be too thick and would have been just as nice halfed. Other than that, while its easy to make, it is time consuming with the chilling times so I ended up making the brownie part the night before and the topping, let it sit in the fridge. Next morning I made the marshmellow and finished it. I might make this again, but adjust it slightly more to my taste.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate or 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 8 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
Peanut Butter Filling
- 1 1⁄2 cups smooth peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped unsalted peanuts, roasted
Directions See How It's Made
- For the brownie, melt chocolate and margarine in a saucepan or microwaveable dish, stirring to blend. Cool to room temp (or brownie will be heavy and dry). Beat sugar, eggs and vanilla with a mixer for 2 minutes. Beat in flour and salt. Beat in chocolate mixture. Spread in a greased 9x13-inch baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- For the filling, combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Spread over the brownie layer.
- For the topping, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Beat sugar, corn syrup, egg whites and water with a mixer set at high speed until stiff. Spread carefully over the peanut layer (try dropping dollops of it all over the peanut butter layer, then spreading gently to join the dollops) Bake for 5 minutes until golden brown. Top with chopped peanuts and cut into small squares.