Recipe by Jane from Ohio
These cookies look so lovely on my cookie tray. For Christmas I use the green and red M&M Peanut candy and for Easter I use the pastel M&M peanut candy. You can use any color for that matter.
Top Review by jennyb5149
This recipe has been a Chrismtas tradition since I've been a little girl when I'd make these cookies with my mom using a butter stained recipe cut out from a woman's magazine. The tattered old magazine cutout has long ago since disappeared and I'm so glad to find it again here on Recipezaar. The combination of a yummy butter cookie, cream cheese frosting and peanut M&M can't be beat! These are great cookies to make with kids...they love to help roll the unbaked cookies in nuts, spread a little frosting or top the finished cookie with a M&M.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- finely chopped nuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can vanilla frosting (I use the creme cheese frosting) or 1 (8 ounce) can cream cheese frosting (I use the creme cheese frosting)
- M&M's peanut chocolate candy
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Blend butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Stir in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Sift flour and salt into bowl; mix well.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Roll into 1-inch balls.
- Dip into slightly beaten egg whites.
- Roll in chopped nuts.
- Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 7 minutes.
- Press thumb into center of each.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes longer or until done.
- Fill with frosting and top with M&M candies.