Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This peanut sauce is somewhat different from a Thai peanut sauce.It's not nearly as sweet and has no coconut milk in it. Most Vietnamese restaurants serve this along with Nuoc Cham and Carrot salad with Cha Gio type dishes. From "The Foods of Vietnam" by Nicole Rauthier.
- Prepare the roasted peanuts.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan.
- When the oil is hot add the garlic chili paste and tomato paste.
- Fry until the garlic is golden brown, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, sugar, peanut butter and hoisin sauce and whisk to dissolve the peanut butter.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Divide the sauce among individual dipping bowls and garnish with the ground peanuts and slice chile.
- Server warm or at room temperature.