Recipe by Tonkcats
Top Review by Sandra Lierle
If you will put peanuts in an oven to heat when you start making this recipe they will not coolthe mixture down and it will not take so long to cook to the hard ball stage. Cuts down on lots of time and dthis also works for peanut brittle and other recipes that call for adding nuts to hot mixture. Be careful not to burn the peanuts. Just want to get them hot enough not to bring the temperature of the hot syrup down too much.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Karo syrup (white)
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- to taste red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 cups peanuts, slightly roasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil sugar, milk, Karo and water until it forms a soft ball (about 234F on a candy thermometer).
- While the mixture is cooking, spread peanuts on a cookie sheet and place in a warm oven.
- Add hot peanuts and cook until hard ball stage (250F to 260F on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat and add powdered sugar, margarine, vanilla and 3 to 5 drops of red food color.
- Drop into greased muffin tin or onto waxed paper by tablespoonsful.