Recipe by Keee
I found this recipe in a magazine and it has become one of our favorite meals! Some tips to make it easier and faster to make: 1> Instead of cutting up vegetables, I use frozen stir-fry vegetables. I like to use the whole bag so there's lots of veggies but you can also measure out just the 3 cups. Then, follow the recipe as stated! 2> Instead of adding chopped peanuts at the end (or in addition to it) it tastes great if you substitute chunky PB for the regular PB. 3> The chicken, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and green onions can be left off....In my house, we actually prefer it without any of these items!
Top Review by TastyTreatsByCB
This was a success! I followed the recipe exactly, using a whole bag of frozen stir fry veg. I used chicken and water chestnuts, but no bamboo shoots or green onion. The only mistake I made was boil the noodles for too long, and they got soft and mushy - I like them much better al dente.....I added the veggies late, so they were still a bit crunchy which I like. Instead of mixing the noodles and sauce together at the end, we just served up our own dishes (I like to 'plate' meals fancy sometimes) and sprinkles crushed peanuts on top. My husband loved it, and we will definitely make this one again! Thanks!!
- 2 (3 ounce) packages oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles
- 3 cups cut-up stir fry vegetables
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts (or more if using more vegetables) water to boiling.
- While waiting for the water to boil, whisk together the 1-1/4 cups water, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, crushed red pepper, and 1 of the Ramen seasoning packets in a medium saucepan. (The other seasoning packet can be thrown away or kept for another use.) The sauce does not have to be whisked until smooth (it will smooth out when cooked). Cook the sauce over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened and bubbly. Cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently. If using, add the chicken, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots to sauce; heat through. (Note: the sauce can remain on the stove, over low heat, until the noodles are ready. Just make sure to stir frequently so the bottom doesn't burn.).
- When the water in the pot is boiling, add the noodles and vegetables. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- Add the sauce mixture to the noodles and vegetables in the pot. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately. Top with peanuts and green onions if desired.