Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is adapted from Yahoo Food. The original was too sweet, but my version is a perfect balance of sweet, hot and salty.
- 5 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons natural-style peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or any vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (or to taste)
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Drain tofu and cut into small slices. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer about 5 minutes or until browned slightly on bottom. Then stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until thouroughly cooked (about 5-7 minutes).
- While tofu cooks, prepare sauce by mixing water, peanut butter, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, and chili sauce. Whisk in a small bowl until well-mixed.
- Add vegetables and sauce to skillet. Cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes or until vegetables are lightly steamed.
- Serve with brown rice.
This was really awesome. I would recommend adding more veggies, though (I added broccoli and snap peas and left out the onion). I also threw in some chick peas since I had some leftover that needed to be used. I did not serve it on noodles or rice; it was hearty enough by itself. I didn't have chili sauce so I used hot sauce, and it worked great.
Loved how all the flavors came together nicely. It was easy to make and my husband loved it. I don't usually like tofu, but this went together really well.
This is really good! I coated the tofu in corn starch before cooking it, to help it get crisp and brown. I also added some extra veggies (green onion, broccoli, etc) and fresh basil leaves. I doubled the sauce based on the previous reviewer and my additional veggies. The sauce is superb! The best peanut sauce I have had. I think this might be better with noodles, rather than rice. Overall, very good, easy, and healthy! Thanks Prose!